- This event has passed.
ESCAPE: The Ingrid Jonker Suite
January 12 @ 6:00 pm - 10:30 pmR200
Composer and vocalist Nicky Schrire sets André Brink and Antjie Krog’s English translations of a selection of Jonker’s works to music, blending folk, cinematic and art song genres. Arranged for string quartet and voice.
A much-loved figure in South African poetry, Ingrid Jonker’s body of work, though small, continues to speak volumes decades after her death. She delicately and beautifully captured lust, love, heartbreak, anger and the fabric of everyday life in her poems. Composer and vocalist Nicky Schrire sets André Brink and Antjie Krog’s English translations of a selection of Jonker’s works to music in a world that blends folk, cinematic and art song genres. The songs are arranged for voice and string quartet, and actress Jenna Dunster delivers the poems in Afrikaans.
Voice – Nicky Schrire
Readings – Jenna Dunster
Violin I – Nicole d’Oliveira
Violin II – Matthijs van Dijk
Viola – Azra Isaacs
Cello – Ariella Caira
Join us for a night of world-class music in Gallery 8, with the option of a dinner before the show at The Skotnes Restaurant.
- Tickets cost R500 for the show, including dinner.
- Tickets cost R200 for the show only, excluding dinner.
- Dinner commences at 18:00 sharp, and the show starts at 20:30.
- General Members and Art Club Members get 10% discount on dinner tickets.
- All tickets are inclusive of admission to our galleries.
Contact email@example.com or click below to book tickets